Helping You Modify Custody And Support Orders

A plan that worked at the time of the divorce may become inappropriate or unfair as circumstances change. That is why there is an opportunity to file a petition for a post-divorce modification of court orders, including those involving:

  • Spousal maintenance (alimony)
  • Child custody
  • Child support
  • Parenting time or child visitation

What Is A Substantial Change In Circumstances?

The loss of a job is a good example. Child support obligations are based on your income. If your income changes significantly — or disappears altogether — your child support payment should reflect your current circumstances.

A move away. We frequently handle post-divorce modification of custody and visitation because one parent wants to move away with the children. Our lawyers can represent you if you are seeking a modification or if you fear your parenting time may be jeopardized by relocation.

Two Important "Do Nots"

  1. Do not rely on an informal agreement with the other party to reduce your child support or alimony. Unless the court order is legally modified, you will still owe the money.
  2. Do not delay. Modifications are retroactive only to the date the petition for modification was filed, not to the date your circumstances changed.

What Should You Do Now?

Contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation so that you can get the protection and experienced representation you need. Call us at 972-608-0335.

The most accurate way of predicting attorneys' performance in the future is to examine the results they have achieved in the past.