Do Not Relocate Without Consulting The Custody Agreement!

When a parent has custody of a child and is considering moving, it is imperative to review the custody orders with an attorney. The courts will not allow certain types of moves, such as an out-of-state move, without court approval and a modification to the established child custody order. If you have questions about relocation, let us help.

Our family law attorneys at Pelley Law Office, L.L.P., represent parents on either side of a relocation issue: those wishing to relocate with their children and those who are attempting to stop the relocation. We have extensive experience handling all aspects of relocation.

Child Custody And Relocation Issues

When you need to relocate, the court will examine why. If the relocation is based on a drastic change in circumstances, such as a job loss, job gain or marriage, you must first obtain a modification to the existing custody order. However, it is essential to note that not all relocations are approved.

If you are considering relocating, you should consult with a member of our firm well in advance of your move. By involving us early in the process, we can take the necessary steps toward helping you secure the court's approval and a custody modification.

If you move without the court's approval, you may be held in contempt of the current custody order and face penalties such as jail time or loss of custody.

What Should You Do Now?

Contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation so you can get the protection you need. Call us at 972-608-0335.

The most accurate way of predicting attorneys' performance in the future is to examine the results they have achieved in the past.