Pelley Law Office LLP
Dallas Office
Plano Office
Sherman Office

No Charge For Initial Consultation ($250 value)

Menu Contact

Over 80 Years Of Combined Experience

View Our Practice Areas

Child Support Modification

It is possible to file a Motion to Modify in the original divorce court which has continuing exclusive jurisdiction in any SAPCR (Suit Affecting Parent Child Relationship) when situations change.   The modification can be either to increase or decrease the amount that the paying parent is sending each month.

A good example is if a father was once making $150,000 a year and then lost his job due to the recession and was only able to find work at a $60,000 job, then he needs a domestic relations attorney to file a Motion to Modify his child support.  Child support modifications such as this only make sense.  If he was originally ordered to pay more than $2,000 a month when he had the higher salary, then without the modification he would still be ordered to pay that amount which would mean he would be paying more than half of his take home (net) pay.

However, it is important to realize that unless and until the modification is granted by the judge, he will still be legally required to pay the original amount.  Failure to do so could result in evasive legal action being taken against him and he could actually find himself incarcerated.

On the other hand, if he was unemployed when the divorce was granted, and then two years later he landed a $100,000 a year job then the ex-wife could file a Motion to Modify Child Support to increase his monthly payments. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Awards & Recognition

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Plano office
Sherman office
Dallas office

Plano Office
1312 14th Street, Suite 100
Plano, Texas 75074

Phone: 972-608-0335
Map & Directions

Sherman Office
905 North Travis Street
Sherman, Texas 75090

Phone: 903-813-4778
Map & Directions

Dallas Office
100 Crescent Court
Suite 700
Dallas, Texas 75201

Phone: 214-733-1775
Map & Directions