Pelley Law Office LLP
Dallas Office
Plano Office
Sherman Office

No Charge For Initial Consultation ($250 value)

Menu Contact

Over 80 Years Of Combined Experience

View Our Practice Areas

Who does my child want to live with?

The current law provides for a child to actually state a preference to his caretaker pursuant to the Texas Family Code Section 153.008.  That law allow a child to file his/her preference with the Court, if the child is 12 years of age or older.  The statute states as follows:

A child 12 years of age or older may file with the court in writing the name of the person who is the child's preference to have the exclusive right to designate the primary residence of the child, subject to the approval of the court.

The statute infers that the child's preference would be binding if the Court approved the designation.  However, the exact wording only talks about the ability to file a preference, and the statute is absent any coercive language. 

However, the preference can only be considered by the Judge and may not be used in a jury trial.  This does not mean that a child cannot make his or her preference known in a jury trial according to the Court of Appeals in Boriack v. Boriack.  

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Awards & Recognition

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Plano office
Sherman office
Dallas office

Plano Office
1312 14th Street, Suite 100
Plano, Texas 75074

Phone: 972-608-0335
Map & Directions

Sherman Office
905 North Travis Street
Sherman, Texas 75090

Phone: 903-813-4778
Map & Directions

Dallas Office
100 Crescent Court
Suite 700
Dallas, Texas 75201

Phone: 214-733-1775
Map & Directions