Richard A. Pelley
Richard received his B.A. in Political Science from Baylor University in 1973 and his doctorate of jurisprudence from Baylor Law School in 1974. Mr. Pelley has practiced law for over 45 years in North Texas.
A former Bankruptcy Trustee, his practice now solely concentrates on representing debtors in Bankruptcy. Mr. Pelley is well recognized and respected for his skill and knowledge in Bankruptcy proceedings under Chapters 7, 11, and 13.
Mr. Pelley was a member of Delta Theta Phi legal fraternity at Baylor Law School. Since graduating Summa Cum Laude in 1974, he has served on the U.S. Panel of Trustees and as Bankruptcy Trustee in the Eastern District of Texas. He has also taught Business Law and served as President of the Grayson County Bar Association.
Richard has memberships in both Federal and State Bar Associations, including the United States Bankruptcy Court in the Eastern District of Texas, the United States District Court in the Eastern District of Texas, the State Bar of Texas, National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, and the Bankruptcy Bar for the United States District Court in the Eastern District of Texas.
Richard is admitted to practice in Texas, the United States District Court in the Eastern District of Texas, the United States District Court in the Northern District of Texas, the United States Court of Appeals in the 5th Circuit, and the Texas Supreme Court.
Mr. Pelley has successfully represented thousands of clients over five decades. In addition to individuals, his representative clients have included banks, title companies, insurance companies, cities, municipalities, and other corporate clients. He is an approved attorney for Stewart Title Company and Lawyers Title Company.
Mr. Pelley was the keynote speaker at the retirement ceremony of the United States Bankruptcy Court Judge Honorable Donald R. Sharp, and an invited speaker to the State Bar of Texas Continuing Legal Education program. He has spoken at and served with several local organizations including Lions Club, Kiwanis, and other charities.
- Texas, 1974
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas
- J.D. - 1974
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Member, Delta Theta Phi Legal Fraternity
- Baylor University, Waco, Texas
- B.A. - 1973
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Major: Political Science
- Judge Ray F. Grisham
- Judge James R. Fry
- Judge R. C. Vaughn
- Keynote Speaker, Retirement Ceremony, United States Bankruptcy Court Judge Hon. Donald R. Sharp
- Invited Speaker, State Bar of Texas Continuing Legal Education Program
- Professor, Business Law
Honors and Awards
- Plano and Frisco’s Best Attorneys, Living Magazine, 2013
- Allen’s Best Bankruptcy Attorney, Allen American Readers’ Choice, 2011 – Present
- Former Bankruptcy Trustee – Plano, TX
Professional Associations and Memberships
- NACBA - National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
Past Employment Positions
- Eastern District of Texas, U.S. Panel of Bankruptcy Trustees
- Eastern District of Texas, Bankruptcy Trustee